Friday, December 12, 2008

The day after



The snow on the ground and rooftops was gone by late afternoon, but it turned cold during the night. In the morning, this was all that was left of my snowman. I think it now looks a little bit like a sculpture of a dove (or a hen?) sitting on a round rock. Note all the green grass around it, unscathed. It's possible some of my veggie garden survived the brief flirtation with snow, but the petunias in the urn by the front steps are definitely finished.


My neighbor's granddaughter (who like most children was in school during the two hours when the snow was coming down and thus missed all the fun) squealed with delight when she saw the snowman in my yard in the late afternoon. So hey, if he made a child laugh, his short life was worthwhile. There's a sermon illustration in there somewhere.


A friend sent me this photo of a St. Charles Avenue streetcar in the snow yesterday morning:

Now there's one for a Christmas card. And Merry Christmas to Number 952 on the Embarcadero Line in San Francisco!

No comments: