Tuesday, March 22, 2005

More on Journeys

After I wrote that last entry, it struck me as a huge theological leap (if nothing else!) to go from Jesus' journey into Jerusalem to my own spiritual journey in, of all things, a red Camaro convertible. I apologize for any flights of fancy there.

But -- all of us are on some kind of journey through life. We get from here to there as best we can, and sometimes along the way (maybe) we stop to reflect on the meaning of it all.

Little Red was my way of affirming life in the midst of a series of misfortunes. I don't know why, but in my own life misfortunes seem to come in waves, sometimes lasting for a year or more. During my first year in seminary, I lost five loved ones. After the fifth death, I went to the place that I go when I need to be renewed -- a favorite beach on the Gulf Coast. I sat on the beach and said, "God, I am tired of starting over." When one experiences a loss, there is grief (with its many aspects), and then there is getting up and going on -- starting new relationships, having new experiences. And after those five deaths, getting up and going on was getting old.

But the next day I went out, and in my travels I found a vision for a new experience. As it turned out, I never acted on that particular vision. But for the immediate future, it gave me hope for something positive in the future, which was what I needed. Sort of like the red Camaro.

Today is Tuesday of Holy Week. Jesus came into Jerusalem either on Sunday or Monday, depending on whether you read Mark or Matthew. In any case, they both agree that he had a lot of work to do before he came to the upper room on that last night. That's something to remember, at any rate. Robert Frost, in writing about a journey, said he had "miles to go before I sleep." Miles to go and much to do.

No comments: